Sunday, July 24, 2011

Chapter Closed

It's official. I am no longer a Peace Corps volunteer. I've left Huaca Rajada for the last time, said good-bye to Chiclayo, turned in my residency card, and eaten my last plate of ceviche. All that's left in schlepping two overweight bags across two continents. 

I wish I had some profound and clever way to summarize these two years, but I don't. It's been such a complex mix of emotions and experiences and right now all I feel is dazed. I'm sure that with time I'll be better able to define my Peace Corps experience, but when I think about it right now I'm struck by the contradictions. 


I learned to true definition of loneliness, but I met some truly amazing friends. 


I went through moments literally pulling my hair out from boredom, but I swam in the Amazon river, summited Andean peaks, and bused my way around a truly beautiful country.


I feel a little more jaded, but I was repeatedly humbled and awestruck at the simple human kindnesses that marked my days. 


I feel a little wiser, but I've regressed to the sense of humor and vocabulary of a 14-year-old boy.


I felt sadder and more isolated at times than I imagined possible, but I laughed harder and smiled wider than ever before.


Basically, it was a wild ride and it barely seems real. But it was wonderful, amazing, life-changing, hilarious, and unquestionably worth all the low moments.


Thanks for reading all these months. I'm planning on keeping the blog going through my next adventure (stay tuned for details), so keep me bookmarked and check back soon for the next chapter in my American life. 

2 comments: